Saturday, April 29, 2017

Back in action!!

I have had this blog for 15 years and it has gone through various phases of activity and neglect.  I haven't taken the time or care to develop an audience, and I won't. If someone finds a post that interests them, they can discover it on their own without my hucksterism. 

About the only thing I will do to promote this blog is post links to it on Twitter and Facebook. I don't have the time or inclination to read too many other blogs, participate in forums, or comment on other blog posts.

What I will do is make an earnest effort to post every day. Most of it will be 100-200 word excerpts from my journal, commentary on the news of the day, the occasional video post, and, most importantly to me, samples of fiction I am working on.

I am a truck driver. Most of my hours arw spent driving. I fit writing in the margins, but am increasingly disciplined about this because writing gives me so much joy and purpose, and is an outlet for soul searching and creative expression.

So... I promise to try. A post a day. Here on this ancient blog.

An excerpt from my journal:

I went to Burger King today.  I know. Bad choices. My change was $1.19. I handed the cashier an extra penny so I would get two dimes. He tried to hand me 19 cents.

"My change is 20 cents," I said.

"It says a dollar nineteen," he said.

"That's why I gave you an extra penny. I didn't want more pennies."

He didn't know what to say. A manager had to intervene.

Another customer said, "I worry about kids these days. They're getting dumber every day."

I disagree, but I didn't want to get into an argument.

"I remember when I used to have all my friends and families phone numbers memorized," I said.

Every technological innovation makes obsolete whatever skill set it replaces. The oral tradition has never quite recovered from the advent of writing.

No comments: