Wednesday, October 31, 2012

National Novel Writing Month

Before the year began, I made a New Year's resolution to write a novel in 2012. And then I promptly forgot about it, got caught up in running and working my tail off, and got out of the habit of writing. I kept the resolution in the back of my brain because, believe it or not, I have a lot of ideas to write about, but a lack of discipline and focus to put a long project together.

Now, November is upon us and there is an organized event, National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, with a web site, local events, and an ambitious goal to write a novel in one month. The goal is actually 50,000 words, which would make a short novel, but a novel nonetheless. I am throwing my hat in the ring and will post, warts and all, my daily efforts every few days, or whenever I can get to the public library to download them.

Yes, I still haven't fixed my laptop to get it Internet ready and after five years it's about time to get a new one. Yes, I have never taken on such an ambitious project before, requiring me to write at least 1,667 words a day to achieve the goal. But 2012 has been a year of achievement, and I know have many novels inside of me waiting to come out. And I hope this month of magic and writing and lost sleep and plot holes and frustration and run on sentences, etc., will parlay into a disciplined habit of daily writing I've been trying to cultivate for years.

Again, check this blog every few days and be prepared to read. Thanks in advance for all your support and encouragement.

http://nanowrimo.org/

No comments: