Tuesday, July 24, 2012

10 years after

Today is the 10th anniversary of this blog. When I started it, I was living in Rockford, Il, employed as a newspaper reporter for the Beloit Daily News, and had a computer with 8 GB memory across three drives. Internet connection was with Netzero and connected to a phone Jack in the wall. Fast forward 10 years... I live in Sycamore, Il, and am the father of a precocious 6-year-old son. I work as an over the road truck driver with a regular route to Appleton, WI. My annual income is more than $15k than 10 years ago, though I feel no richer with inflation and increased life expenses. The device I use to access the Internet is a smartphone with 12 GB memory. I don't even know if it has a "drive." And the means of access are the 3G wireless network that is part of my phone plan. Too bad I cannot do paragraph separations with the phone. That is one notable drawback to my current situation. (which I've corrected at the public library) What is the purpose of this blog? Then as now, it is a mere repository of whatever I find interesting in life and on the net. Over the years, my interest in the blog has ebbed and flowed. This has been a slow year for it, but I'd like to increase the number of entries. This blog gets about 30 views a day. I've angered people and made enemies with some entries. With others I've helped researchers around the world and job seekers in Illinois. I don't think this blog will ever be too popular. It's not meant to be. But if you take the time to read through what I've posted these past 10 years, no doubt you'll find something interesting and learn a few things along the way. And if you're entertained, that's an extra bonus. Here's to 10 more years of happy blogging!

No comments: