Thursday, August 20, 2009

Updatus maximus

I'm still without a permanent address, though those days are more briefly numbered than I might have planned. This afternoon I am looking at a room above the Fargo Theatre in downtown DeKalb. I've been interested in this locale since spending an afternoon with a friend of a friend in one of those rooms back in 2002. As it turns out, the room available for rent is the same room.

I won't go into particulars now, but it seems to be a cool place with a deceptive amount of room. Of course, it is a rooming house set-up, with shared bathrooms and kitchen, but if I remember right, the room available is set off by itself and has a sleeping loft. I've always wanted one of those since living in a loft apartment in Antigo, WI, lo 10 years gone by. And while my old loft digs in Antigo were in an old train depot, my prospective place looks out on a depot.

In other news, all of my paperwork is in order and I'm back on the substitute teaching list in DeKalb. I was kind of bummed out yesterday when I drove by a middle school here in town and saw vehicles in the parking lot. Teachers are getting their classrooms and schedules ready for a busy school year. And here I am, once again, on the outside looking in. But rest assured, peeps, you can't keep a good man down. I'll be teaching and have a classroom of my own to ready in the not-to-distant future. I can either lament how fate dealt me a cruel hand or just pick myself up and keep on plugging away. Easy choice. Not even a choice. I was born for action.

Camping out is still enjoyable. I've found a couple choice spots that I feel confident no one could discover me at, and am still scouting out new spots all the time. Who knew there were so many camp spots in and around DeKalb.

Its been nice to see Jonny often during the week and reuniting with some old friends, many whom didn't even know I left DeKalb.

No comments: