Monday, August 10, 2009

A short bibliography on indigence

If you count the two thru-hikes I've taken in the past 9 years, this is my fourth stint at voluntary homelessness. why voluntary? Because I have enough money to rent a room or small apartment. I just used Amazon to compile a short (30 titles) bibliography on the subject of homelessness. I picked from memoirs and sociological texts. My tentative plan is to write about the topic and incorporate these other works into a first-person account of my experiences with homelessness.

I tend to glorify the condition because I actually enjoy the challenges and greater connection to nature that homelessness brings me. Those addicted to drugs, the mentally ill, and homeless families face worser travails than I. There is no way for them to romanticize their condition and little hope for a way out of it. I acknowledge the novelty in which I treat the subject. This novelty is now turning to research.

I've got 11 minutes left at the library's computers. I will order 3 titles through interlibrary loan when my time runs out. Any titles I've collected that don't fit in this timeline will be posted to my Twitter page ( http://www.twitter.com/greglocascio ).


Rolling Nowhere: Riding the Rails with America's Hoboes -- Ted Conover
American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders -- Richard Grant

One More Train to Ride: The Underground World of Modern American Hoboes -- Cliff (Oats) Williams

Citizen Hobo: How a Century of Homelessness Shaped America -- Todd DePastino

Down and Out, On the Road: The Homeless in American History -- Kenneth L. Kusmer

The Joy of Not Working: A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked - 21st Century Edition -- Ernie J. Zelinski

Making Room: The Economics of Homelessness -- Brendan O' Flaherty

Voices from the Street: Truths about Homelessness from Sisters of the Road -- Jessica P. Morrell

Ragnar's Guide to the Underground Economy -- Ragnar Benson

My 30 Days Under the Overpass: Not Your Ordinary Devotional -- Mike Yankoski

The Irresistable Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical -- Shane Claiborne

Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America -- Mike Yankoski

Tell Them Who I Am: The Lives of Homeless Women -- Elliott Lebow

Reckoning with Homelessness (The Anthropology of Contemporary Issues) -- Kim Hopper

The Visible Poor: Homelessness in the United States -- Joel Blau

Down on their Luck: A Study of Homeless Street People -- David A. Snow

Down and Out in America: The Origins of Homelessness -- Peter H. Rossi

No comments: