Thursday, March 26, 2009

A "Twittery" post

Since I only have a few minutes and I don't have anything pressing I really want to write about, and also since I just checked out a few Twitter sites for the first time yesterday, ah, well, I'm totally defeating the theme of this post with this long, run-on sentence. Here goes...

***

Jonny used the potty for the first time yesterday. He went pee pee and poo poo. It turns out using M & M's as a reward was effective.

***

Jonny also dropped the F-bomb for the first time yesterday. He first did it at dinner and his mother calmly explained that it was a hurtful word. Later, during his bath, he said it again. I not-so-calmly told him if I heard him say "fuck" again I would wash out his mouth with soap. His lips pouted and he almost cried, but he said he wouldn't.

***

I asked him where he heard the word, but he couldn't remember. I've never said it or any other swear word in his presence.

***

It's hard to blame him for saying it. It is a fun word. It just rolls out of the mouth like an avalanche.

***

In fact, I've become such a non-swearer that once this winter after slipping on the ice, with no son or students present, I yelled out "fiddlesticks!"

***

I personally don't find swear words offensive, but still don't want my son saying them.

***

I imagine Jonny as an obsessive compulsive adult who can't go to the bathroom unless he has M & M's to eat afterwards.

***

Today is finally warm and sunny. It feels like spring.

***

I'm reading
Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. Beautiful use of language, but I need a dictionary to make sense of it. My favorite new-to-me word from this book: Nates - buttocks.
***

Another cool new-to-me word, even though it wasn't in Suttree: tintinnabulary -- like the sound of ringing bells.

***

Pet Peeve of the Day: Having to apply for jobs District by District instead of county by county.

***

That's it. Time to go for a walk!

No comments: