Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Busy day

Up at 5. Grading essays from 5:30 to 7:30 a.m., continuing where I left off at 11 last night.

Off to Reavis at 7:35. I usually go through Prairie Park on Tuesdays, walk along the Kishwaukee River and cross it at a footbridge. But after crossing frozen pond fields and running meltwater temporary streams, it came as no surprise to see the bridge flowing over. I had to backtrack and run for long stretches to get to Reavis by 8, but I made it.

Individual conferences went well. I'm an old hand at this, considering this is the sixth time I've done conferences. A few of the students even have interesting topics. I've steered them clear of tired topics (like capital punishment, abortion, etc.) and require them to talk to a local expert for a source.

My mandibles are tender from all that jawing today.

Conferences from 8-10 p.m.

Visit with Dr. Callahan from 11-11:40 a.m.

11:40 - 12:30 -- Walk home, change, eat, drive to Huntley MS

12:30 - 2:30 -- Teach 6th grade Life Skills class -- easy, fun

2:30 - 3 -- Park close to campus, walk to Reavis

3 - 4:30 -- Individual conferences

4:30 - 6 -- Spend entire time reading Neil Simon's "Prisoner of Second Avenue." Almost finish it. More depressing white guy angst.

6 - 8:30 -- For the first time ever, class goes close to its actual release time (8:40 a.m.)

Home by nine. Still wound up at 11. More papers to grade in the morning.

No comments: