Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Great Movie


I watched A Man For All Seasons earlier this week. It is a movie about Sir Thomas More, who chose to be executed rather than condone King Henry VIII divorce and remarriage. Great costumes, setting, dialogue, a compelling moral drama, Orson Welles in a bit part, and a mercifully restrained depiction of Henry VIII's lunacy.


Check IMDB for more great quotes. This is a good teacherly one.


Sir Thomas More: Why not be a teacher? You'd be a fine teacher; perhaps a great one.

Richard Rich: If I was, who would know it?

Sir Thomas More: You; your pupils; your friends; God. Not a bad public, that.

A Man For All Seasons won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1966. Most of the actors, including Paul Scofield (who won the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of More), with the exception of Welles, are virtually unknown today. I hadn't even heard of the movie until I posted all the Best Pictures I hadn't seen on my Netflix queue.

No comments: