Monday, January 29, 2007

Sounds like gunfire, tastes so good....

Saturday night I prepared one of the best meals I've made in a while. The inspiration for it was a side dish, ratatouille, which comes from the French word touiller, to toss. So, this is just a fancy name for tossed vegetables.

But not just any vegetables. The distinguishing ingredients in ratatouille are eggplant (and/or some type of squash) and tomato. I also included garlic, red onion, red pepper, green pepper, fresh basil and parsley, a couple pinches of salt, and because I had it, a few pinches of fresh dill. Because this is considered a southern dish, I finely chopped the garlic, diced the peppers and onion, and cubed the eggplant and squash.


I also prepared a salad with regular and Italian parsley, romaine hearts, and chopped tomatoes, a spinach fettucini Lipton noodle side dish (from my vast, never-depleted store of hiker food), and salmon fillets cooked with fresh dill and the juice of one lemon with a hollandaise sauce garnish on top.

Breyer's mint chip ice cream for dessert.

No comments: