Monday, November 13, 2006

nex ut proterus

Below are the library books I have, either from Founders Memorial Library or through interlibrary loan.

Sterne, Laurence, 1713-1768. Life & opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman. Introd. by Bergen Evans. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML PR3714 .T71950
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 12-11-06

I've had this book since spring, when I checked it out after nearly sleeping through the movie on a trip to Chicago. Go to Amazon for my review of it. I've only got about 50 pages left to go. Its metarealistic style makes for good reading on the pot.



Parsons, Les, 1943- Grammarama! : innovative exercises, creative activities, models from reading, sentence combining, updated rules, and more! / Les Parsons. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML LB1576 .P27 2004
Book--16-4w
Checked out: Due 12-11-06

I haven't even looked at this thin tome. It's a required text for my ENGL 547 class.

Kirby, Dan. Inside out : strategies for teaching writing / Dan Kirby, Dawn Latta Kirby, Tom Liner. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML LB1631 .K572 2004
Book--16-4w
Checked out: Due 12-11-06

Yes, kiddies, if you get anything out of this entry it is that you need not buy required texts for classes. Interlibrary loan fills in the gaps your library will miss. And as a college student, most of you have access to WorldCat, an international library catalog.

Inside Out is another required text for ENGL 547. And it's a good one. Kirby provides detailed lesson ideas for a variety of writing topics, from term papers to reflection. This is a rare textbook that is written in an accessible, easy-to-understand style, with lots of voices from other students and teachers to make the lessons come to life. This is one of those books I will buy and use in my teaching.


James, Bill, 1949- New Bill James historical baseball abstract / Bill James. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML GV863.A1 J36 2001
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 12-14-06

I checked out this book back in the spring and haven't looked at it much since the middle of the summer. I first heard about Bill James when I read Moneyball, another baseball book about the odd general managing strategies of Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane, who is a James devotee.

This book lists the best 100 players at each position. While I don't agree not can even pretend to truly understand the methodology of his rankings, I enjoyed the mini-biographies about some of my favorite players and James unique assessment of their worth. James also provides a decade by decade synopsis of the major leagues, even down to the styles of uniforms and stadium attendance figures, and the style of play that predominated each era. Yet another great reference book for the pot!

From Wikipedia: Sabermetrics is the analysis of baseball through objective evidence, especially baseball statistics. The term is derived from the acronym SABR, which stands for the Society for American Baseball Research. It was coined by Bill James, who has been its most enthusiastic (and by far its most famous) proponent.

James' story is fascinating. He is an everyman. A fan's fan. He wrote his first baseball abstract in 1977 while working nights as a security guard. Now he works as a consultant for the Boston Red Sox and played a role in their 2004 pennant.

Rombauer, Irma von Starkloff, 1877-1962. Joy of cooking / Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker ; illustrated by Ginnie Hofmann and Beverly Warner. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML TX715 .R75 1973
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 12-14-06

I first checked out Joy from the DeKalb Public Library in early 2005, and checked it out from NIU back in April or May. I will renew the book as long as I'm here and as long as they'll let me. One of my favorite recipes I've done over and over again is for risotto.

Joy is one of those essential cookbooks. Every kitchen should have it and the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. One thing I like about Joy is it cross-references recipes that would work together well for an entire dinner presentation. Someday I'll get up the gumption to follow one of these dinner plan suggestions to the letter.

Voltaire, 1694-1778. Candide : or, Optimism / Voltaire ; edited by Norman L. Torrey. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML PQ2082.C3 E51946
Book--16-4w
Checked out: Due 01-02-07

Candide is on my night stand. It's short and pithy. Each chapter is about three pages. The main character, Candide, is a wry, witty victim of worldly tumult. At the point I'm at in life, I need to read about fools who cling to optimism in spite of it all.

Know who turned me on to this book? None other than rooming house drunkard Steve.

Bass, Rick, 1958- In the Loyal Mountains / Rick Bass. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML PS3552.A8213 I51995
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 03-02-07

The only other book I read by Bass is Winter: Notes from Montana, a non-fiction autobiographical account of Bass' move to a cabin in Yaak, an isolated village in northwest Montana. I loved that book and its lean, poetic prose. I sought out Mountains because I needed my mountain fix, and these 10 stories did not disappoint. Bass is one of the best "naturalistic" writers in America.

I finished this book back in June, but have kept it around because I want to write an Amazon review (and, yeah, maybe re-read a couple stories). It's also in my nightstand pile.

Burroughs, William S., 1914- Junky / William S. Burroughs ; with an introduction by Will Self. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML PS3552.U75 J8 2002
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 03-02-07

This is the only Burroughs book I've read. I've never tried heroin and, after reading Junky, I never will. I thought Burroughs, based on the reputation of Naked Lunch, was a difficult read, but Junky is a straightforward narrative. Burroughs does a good job of neither aggrandizing or vilifying the junky lifestyle. He presents it matter-of-factly with a journalistic sense for detail and a thorough lexicon of 1950s-60s junkie terminology.

I finished this book on the Metra train from Zion, IL after a day at the beach. I plan to write an Amazon review before I give it back.

Eliot, George, 1819-1880. Silas Marner : the weaver of Raveloe / George Eliot ; introduction by Chris Bohjalian. Location: NIU--Main Collection--FML PR4670 .A1 2001
Book--16-4w
Renewed: Due 03-02-07
DePaul University

Silas Marner is not as good as Middlemarch, the sprawling Eliot epic that is the only other book I've read by her. Like Middlemarch, ...Marner presents a careful, nuanced portrait of village life in the story of a recluse who discovers the true worth and value of his neighbors when he has to care for an orphan infant who walks into his life. This is a great introduction to Eliot.



Clark, Irene L. Concepts in composition : theory and practice in the teaching of writing / Irene L. Clark ; with contributors, Betty Bamberg ... [et al.]. Location: Lincoln Park Stacks 808.042071 C593c2003
Book1
Renewed: Due 12-08-06
Eastern Illinois University

Concepts... is required reading for my ENGL 500 class. I've read about two-thirds of it and conclude that of all the texts assigned for this class, it is the best written and most helpful to my first-year-composition instruction. It gives a good overview of the trends in teaching writing in the past 25 years.

Yancey, Kathleen Blake, 1950- Reflection in the writing classroom / Kathleen Blake Yancey. Location: Book Stacks A-H 3000; J-L 2000; P-Z 1000 Level PE1404 .Y36 1998
Book 16-4W
Renewed: Due 12-08-06
Greenville College

This is also a required text for ENGL 500. This one sucks. I get a headache every time I read it. Bottom line: Reflection is a good way for students to write informally about their writing experience. Duh! Enough with the academic language and circular double-speak.

Clarke, Clinton C Pacific crest trailway, compiled by Clinton C. Clarke. Location: Stacks 917.8 P11
Book1
Checked out: Due 01-02-07
Illinois State University

I first saw this book at the Ice Age Trail headquarters in Madison a couple years ago. Drew Hanson has a copy. Published in 1945, this is probably the first book about the Pacific Crest Trail. Clarke was instrumental in the creation of the PCT as first president of the Pacific Crest Trail System Association.

I will write a separate entry about this book and cull some memorable quotes along with more details about the maps included. I found some interesting things besides maps in the sleeve at the back of the book.

Johannessen, Larry R. In case you teach English : an interactive casebook for prospective and practicing teachers / Larry R. Johannessen, Thomas M. McCann. Location: Floor 1 Shelves LB1029.C37 J64 2002
Book 16-4 wk
Checked out: Due 12-21-06
Southern Illinois University Carbondale

This is another book for my ENGL 547 class. I also used this book in ENGL 504 last fall. Johannessen was my professor for 504. This book presents debatable scenarios that English teachers may encounter.

Sutton, Ann, 1923- Pacific Crest Trail : escape to the wilderness / Ann and Myron Sutton ; photographs by the authors. Location: LC Books, Basement F851 .S97
Book 16/8/4 wk
Renewed: Due 12-08-06
Sauk Valley Community College

I like that this book examines the flora, fauna and geology of the trail, and downplays the logistical, geographic concerns. Those looking for a traditional thru-hiker memoir will be disappointed. The Suttons' style is a bit florid and effusive, but such excess is offset by the descriptive language and wonderful photography. Instead of focusing on vistas, as most trail books tend to do, the Suttons took photographs of more personal items on the trail -- a forest floor of pine cones, a close up shot of a marmot or a flower. I plan to track down my own copy of this book and share it with anybody who questions what the big deal is about the trail life.

Peters, Lisa N. James McNeill Whistler / Lisa N. Peters. Location: Stacks ND237.W6 P47
Book - Circulating
Renewed: Due 12-08-06
School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Over the summer I heard on a classical station that Ira Gershwin was inspired by Whistler to title the classic George Gershwin piece

Vandertie, Adolph, 1911- Hobo & tramp art carving : an authentic American folk tradition / Adolph Vandertie with Patrick Spielman. Location: Books - Main Stacks TT199.7 .V361995
Book 1
Checked out: Due 01-31-07
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Short lines : a collection of classic American railroad stories / edited by Rob Johnson ; [illustrated by Ron Hazlitt]. Location: Main Stacks 813.08 SH82
BOOK 16/4 WKS
Checked out: Due 01-25-07

Wills, Robert H High trails : a guide to the Cascade Crest Trail / by Robert H. Wills. Location: Oak Street Facility [request only] 917.97 W68H
BOOK 16/4 WKS
Checked out: Due 01-25-07
Western Illinois University

Green, David, 1949- Pacific Crest odyssey : walking the Trail from Mexico to Canada / David Green. Location: Main Collection - Malpass Library GV199.42.P3 G73
Book

No comments: