Saturday, November 25, 2006

AZ trail, etc.

Now that the tryptophan stupor's subsided, I am getting busy work done this weekend (grades, work on teaching portfolio projects, abstract proposal for a conference) and working out some of the logistics of my upcoming trip.

I've been through this before and know the planning that goes into a long-distance hiking trip. IT is is a lot of work. Half the battle is just getting there.

I have prepared a tentative itinerary for the trip, including a list of town stops and the my estimated times of arrival (ETA). If anyone wants to send food, letters or super-lightweight trinkets, send them to the addresses below and write on the address:

Greg Locascio c/o
General Delivery
Town, Zip code
In the left hand corner write: "Please hold for Arizona Trail hiker. ETA: (whatever date I put for that town). To assure a timely arrival, send mail AT LEAST 10 days before the ETA. Also, be sure to include a return address.
TENTATIVE ITINERARY:
Patagonia, AZ 85624
ETA: Dec. 19
P.O. phone #: 520-394-2950
Mount Lemmon, AZ 85619
ETA: Dec. 28
520-576-1427
Kearney AZ, 85237
ETA: Jan. 11
520-363-5621
This is the first time I've ever listed mail drop information because I used to believe it a cheap-o move to ask for mail from friends and family. But I am going on this trip, alone, over the holidays. I imagine correspondence will be worth its weight in gold. If I come home without receiving your mail, call the post office you sent it to and have it sent back. This will expedite the 60-90 day holding period post offices put on general delivery packages before they return to sender. Any letters will be responded to in a timely manner. Maybe this could be the beginning of a lifelong correspondence...
I will also post pictures and my journal at: www.trailjournals.com/raru

No comments: