Thursday, October 05, 2006

Jo Nathan

Jon Allen update. Stardate Oct. 5, 2006.

The lil' piker's almost 10 months old.

Crazy how time flies. Tempus fugit. Fergedaboutit?

He's a willful child. He wants what he wants and is stubborn about it. He also has major separation anxiety from his mother. If she leaves the room for even a moment he cries and whimpers. I can distract him with a song or introducing a new toy. Esther did some reading on the common phenomena and discovered it is better to say goodbye to him and let him know you're leaving. In the past, she's snuck out to avoid the drama and tears. That's not so good, she said, because then baby never learns that leaving is a normal thing. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, separation anxiety is common in babies between 10 and 18 months, and then fades in intensity after that.

He loves to wave and point. He often curls his wrists as if he's getting ready to play the piano.

Speaking of music, he is entranced by my guitar playing and reaches out to play along. When I put the guitar in reach he strums it and tries to pluck the strings.

Jonny weights approximately 24 pounds. He likes to eat. The latest new food is potatoes. It's a little thicker in consistency than what he's used to, but he's learning to chew it a little longer than most foods. He can drink out of a sippy cup on his own, but is still more miss than hit.

He has the strength to crawl, but prefers to roll and tumble after an object placed out of reach. He loves boxes and balls, and attacks new objects by pouncing on them with both hands. He also prefers to stand up and loves to play peek-a-boo. If I throw his favorite blankie over his head, he removes it, looks at me and giggles all wide-eyed and grinning.

He plays rougher with men than women. When I hold him close to my face, he beats at it with his hands. He also likes to pull on my lips.

He is very vocal at times, and enunciates vowel sounds like ba ba da da ma ma. He also loves to purse his lips and blow. Maybe he'll be a horn player like his old man. Often he does this when he's eating and sprays food all over the place.

Jonny hates to be dressed or undressed. He squirms and cries when being changed. He even hates it when a bib is put on him. He doesn't like to lay down, and if he turns over on his belly he'll cry and complain after a while until sat upright or standing. He also hates to have his feet covered. I'm the same way.

He still loves the outdoors. A trip outside cures him of the foulest of moods. He never stays in a bad mood long, even when going through the discomfort of teething. For the most part, he has a very sunny disposition and loves to meet new people and check out (i.e. taste) new objects.

Speaking of teeth, he has six teeth, with a seventh just about to burst through.

The only illnesses he's had are thrush and a bad cold. He had one bad night where he threw up a bunch of times. I'm to blame for the thrush. It seems the lad and I are welcome hosts for fungi.

He loves to throw a ball around. One of my favorite activities is an infant-modified game of catch. Instead of throwing the ball at him, I roll it his way and let him pounce on it. He prefers to throw with his left hand (Esther and I are left-handed), but I've seen him throw with his right. He loves to watch objects get tossed and has a good eye for following them in flight.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I could say more. I'm just thankful Jonny is such a healthy, happy baby. He smiles, bounces and claps with excitement whenever I see him. That just makes me feel all golden and fuzzy inside.

To quote Billy Bob Thornton's character, Karl Childers, in "Sling Blade:" "I love that boy, mmm-hmmm."

1 comment:

Pandrew said...

When I was in Costa Rica, I lived with a family that had a one-and-a-half year old boy named Pablo who had just started walking quickly/forming words. He cried every time ANYONE left the house.