Thursday, August 03, 2006

Big News I

I have a new apartment. My new address is: 318 South First Street, Apt. 5, DeKalb, IL 60115

I move in after Aug. 12 and am currently shopping/dumpster diving for kitchen table and chairs, shelves and any funky wall art. The new place is an improvement over my current digs at Country Acres. The rent increase shows it. But I've got my own bathroom and kitchen, a brick deck area just outside my door with grill and chairs, a small lawn to play with Jonny on, and, for the first time in my life, a place of my own to call my own.

School picks up again starting August 21 as I begin a week-long training session for the course I'm teaching. Classes don't actually start until the 28th. So far, I am taking two graduate level English courses, 500 and 547, and ILAS 301, a pass/fail observation course at the Rockford Environment Science Academy middle school and Auburn High School, both in Rockford. And since I don't have a car, I will have to arrange a ride or carpooling pronto to get in on that.

I continue to work at least 16 hours (union minimum) a week at Jewel. When school kicks in I have to change my availability to suit my schedule, but should still be able to work those hours. In addition to teaching a class and taking three others, my schedule may allow me to substitute teach on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays, depending on my work load, etc. So, yeah. Three classes. Three jobs. One son. And a one-bedroom apartment to decorate and make all homey. Woob woob wooby warp speed ahead, keptin'!

I'm still working on a photo essay of Country Acres, and will follow it, blogger willing (photo uploads have been fussy lately), with one of my new place.

No comments: