Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happy naked hiking day!

Today is the first day of summer, and a proud thru-hiker tradition is to hike naked today. In 2000 I hiked naked few hours in Shenandoah National Park (crowded, lots of drive-up overlooks) and got a severe chafe on my hip for my indiscretion.

I kept a bandanna on my waist belt in case children came along, but I lowered it over my privates when a group of 15 middle-aged women passed. They all had wry grins when they saw me, and the last one in line pointed at the bandanna and said, "Aw, c'mon. That's cheating."

In 2004, on the PCT, we hiked over Donahue Pass (11,000+ feet) naked and into the Evolution Basin (crowded) in Yosemite National Park, donning our clothes just before approaching a huge group of Boy Scouts (whew!). No waist belt, no chafe this time. About two dozen day hikers saw us naked. We saw more people than we had the past three weeks.

Wish I had photos to post. On the other hand, maybe not.

2 comments:

filosofo said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to avoid the trails on the first day of summer. :-)

greg said...

Stay off the National Scenic Trails. On the first day of summer you may get more "scenery" than you want.