Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jonathan Allen Locascio has arrived!!!

Esther during early labor, before contractions turned smiles into groans.
Jonathan moments after birth.Esther touches her son for the first time.
Three generations of Locascio.
A quiet moment between father and son.


Jonathan Allen Locascio was born on January 17, 2006 at 4:59 p.m. at Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb, IL. He weighs 8 pounds, 8 ounces and is 22 inches long. He scored a 9 on the APGAR.
Esther, Sharon D. and I went to the hospital at 2 p.m. Monday (the 16th), where Esther was admitted. Esther had already pre-registered, so it did not take long to get to room 208A in the birthing center. Around 4 p.m., after three attempts by nurses to get a needle into Esther's finicky veins, an anaesthesiologist was called and succeeded, and Esther began receiving a steady dose of Pitocin.
Contractions began, but did not become strong enough to make Esther moan and howl in pain until after midnight. From about 2 - 9:30 a.m. Esther's contractions were at their worst, but she only dilated to 5 cm. At 2:48 a.m. Esther's water broke. By 9:30 she was so exhausted from the pain of the contractions that she agreed to get an epidural. The epidural allowed her to get some rest and made contractions bearable as she expanded to 9 cm. She stayed at 9 cm for over two hours until Dr. Baumgart, noticing the baby begin to lag energy, went ahead with plans to do a C-section.
Finally, more than 24 hours after going into labor, Jonathan Allen came headfirst into this world. He looked so normal, just a little purple that quickly turned to pink as he, with quavering lips, took in his first breaths. Esther pulled through the operation with no complications. While she was being stitched and wheeled into recovery, I took Jon into the nursing center and stood by while he was given a shot of vitamin K and had antibiotic goop rubbed in his eyes (both are required by state and federal law). I then gave him his first bath, swaddled him and held him for about half an hour.
He stopped crying and opened his eyes as I sang to him and rocked. I got my pinky near his mouth and he latched on, sucking. I'll never forget these first few moments alone with my son, watching him look around with nearly blind eyes, listening to his breathing, feeling the strength of his kicks, memorizing his features and smelling his doughy sweet baby smell.
Jon eagerly latched onto his mother when they were reunited and fed continuously for almost half an hour. It didn't take long for him to produce his first poop. I was the first to change his diapers. He even spit up and peed on me. Now how's that for an introduction to fatherhood?
Esther and I agree Jon's got my nose and mouth, and her forehead and brow. We aren't sure whose eyes he has. It's too early to tell. And we disagree on ears. I think his ears look more like mine. His skin tone is darker and ruddy, though he's got a veiny splotchiness to his cheeks that is a telltale Larson trait.
He is not much of a crier. Like most newborns he spends a majority of his time sleeping. I accidentally bumped his against my shoulder shifting him around this afternoon. He let out a few good cries, but quickly settled down and went back to sleep. This suggests he is not a fussy baby. I sure hope so.
Esther is still in recovery. If all goes well, she will be released Friday morning and will probably spend the next week at her parent's in Belvidere. I will try and visit each day as my work and class schedule allows.
To contact Esther and baby at the hospital, call (815) 756-1521 or (800) 397-1521, ext. 2080. Again, she is in room 208a. Visiting hours are from 9 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.

3 comments:

wannabe muser said...

I know you don't know me, but I want to congratulate you and your wife on your new baby boy. I am a proud father of two girls: 2 1/2 and 5 months. Your adventures into fatherhood will be exciting and rewarding.
Thank you for sharing your pictures and story. He's a beautiful boy!

Austin said...

Congratulations, Greg!

Amanda said...

Congratulations Esther and greg!! It must be amazing to see a little "you" right in front of your eyes. :)

Love,
Amanda Wright