Tuesday, December 13, 2005

cool Latin quotes, etc.

"Solvitur Ambulando" (walking solves all things) -- St. Augustine.

I read this today on a Pacific Crest Trail Internet mailing list.


"Supere aude! Dare to use your own understanding! is thus the motto of the Enlightenment."

Immanuel Kant (1724–1804)

I've written "Supere Aude" many times in Sharpie marker on bathroom stalls and in hiker registries (though not with a Sharpie, too heavy!) on the Appalachian Trail. When I first read it I thought it had something to do with hearing (aude). It is my life motto.

My friend Todd's favorite Latin quote, one that he smudged on the garage door window of my Sycamore (IL) home back in undergrad daze: "Sic Semper Tyrannus" (Long live the tyrant). I wonder if that's his life motto, or our esteemed President Bush's.

No comments: