Wednesday, November 12, 2003

I read a Time Magazine article recently about community supported agriculture. Like all good ideas, it's simple really. Farmers, instead of working with government subsidies and the vagaries of the open market, sell their produce to local customers who buy "shares" in the harvest. This concept spreads the wealth and the risk of farming on to the consumer and eliminates shipping, which in turn is better for the environment.

King's Hill Farm in southern Wisconsin delivers to Rockford and is one of the few CSA's I've checked out that provides produce to its customers year-round and allows you to pay on a weekly basis.

Monday I went to Woodman's and bought a free-range chicken raised in Janesville, WI and grass-fed certified organic ground beef and sirloin steak raised on a farm in Brodhead, WI, both locations less than 100 miles from Rockford. Are any of these things going to save the planet, or even contribute to better health? It certainly can't hurt.

On the flip side, I had a weak eating moment yesterday on the way home from my sub assignment at Auburn High School when I pulled into a Popeye's chicken outlet. I had to wait in the drive-thru for 15 minutes while the lady in front of me on a cell phone in her silver Mitsubishi got chicken and sides for all her corporate cronies. Then, when I finally got my chicken, it was lukewarm and the thigh was no bigger than the average wing.

I was feeling kind of weather-related down in the dumps last night, and kind of restless too. When Esther returned from her dinner date with Florence S., one of her childhood mentors, we went on a bike ride on the bike path out to Machesney Park Mall and back. The night was very foggy. My glasses collected condensation. But the fog had a mysterious beauty that, along with the exercise, lifted my spirits.

When we rode through Sportscore we scared up a whole flock of Canada Geese resting at the edge of a lagoon. The collective rustle of wings and honking startled me. But on the way back I decided to sneak up on them and as we passed I screamed. Ha Ha. Well. A-hem. Guess you had to be there.

Today I'm at McIntosh Elementary teaching Physical Education. I'm home for lunch. I had turkey, chard, tomato, sauerkraut and mayonnaise between two thick slices of homemade bread. Yuma, Arizona. I'll eat my Granny Smith apple in the car on the way back.

Tonight I'm doing the Wednesday wings thing. I may arrange an appointment for a sauna at Cliffbreakers.

The weather today is sunny, warm and windy as hell, with gusts supposedly up to 40 MPH. Leaves rustle and the apartment windows rattle with each gust. No bike riding in this weather.

No comments: