Thursday, October 23, 2003

Ahhh... the joys of sluggo-headedness. Esther and I had a cheap tab at the bar last night, but I had a slight hangover this morning only because I cadged two beers off pool players who left without drinking their beers. Everybody gets the $1 drafts and everybody's glass looks like the same golden piss, so nobody knows whose beer is whose.

I've been getting so cheap lately I cook wings at home to save $3.50 or whatever they charge. It's 25-cent wings, but they charge $1 extra for ranch and another 50 cents more for celery. Yup, capitalists. It's a nickel and dime world. Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

We were the last ones of the Woodie crowd to leave last night because we are the only ones who are baseball fans. Around 10 p.m. I stood in bar near exit as gay Yanks' Ruben Sierra worked the count from 3-0 to 3-2 before pounding a mealy fastball off Marlins' closer Ugueth "string beard" Urbina to the right corner, scoring two runs to tie the game. Three innings and more than an hour later the Marlins atoned with an Alex Gonzalez walk-off screaming mee mee homer over the 330 sign in left. I followed the game in fits and starts throughout the night and watched what could have been Roger Clemens' last inning of his Hall of Fame career.

Rob, a good pool player who trounced both Jason and I, watched the rest of the game with Esther and I, and then asked us for a ride over to the Sports Page, less than four blocks away from LT's. I laughed and called him a lazy ass when he got out. He said Esther and I are lucky to have each other and that we seem like good people, and then he walked off into the video game poker silent TV screen blipping lonely night.

The last two days I've taught at West Middle School for Mike T., who also happens to be the grandfather of my godchildren, formerly Steve H.'s father-in-law. Science room among the tanks with African frogs, Malayan turtles, salamanders in a bucket, goldfish hidden one algaed tank, rare tropical fish in other murky green tank. Oh, yeah, and two snakes... A regular menagerie. And that's just the living. Of course in one closed glass cabinet stood the pig and deer fetuses, frogs and insects forever preserved and peaceful in liquid stasis. Plastic models of cell structures, stuffed squirrels and some well past its prime bald stuffed duck.

The students are "gifted" eighth graders, well behaved future leaders of America, corporate scions, well-heeled and socially conscious. They don't cause this sub too much trouble, giving me time to daydream, finish reading "Lonesome Traveler" by Kerouac, reminding me of my mountain wanderings and Paris street scenes, work on a short story and play hearts and freecell.

It's a cool, sunny day and the leaves are past their glory. The ones left are the hardy oak leaves that can often be seen still clinging to parent tree throughout dark winter only to fall off reluctantly with the first shoots of spring.

Back to work. The living and dead creatures await.

No comments: