Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Today was unseasonably warm. It rained in the afternoon, with hail and thunder and lightning. I had to run from my car to the library. Got my usual 4 DVDs and a John Updike book. Heard a lot of good things about Updike, Pulitzer Prize and all that, but also heard he's an eastern blueblood aristocrat and writes for the World War II generation. I got no patience for that crap.

After work Shawn didn't answer when I rang him from the lobby. We were supposed to get together and play guitar. He called later and said he didn't get to sleep until 6 a.m. He works at UPS from 10p-2a and said it takes him that long to wind down. He didn't wake up until after 3p. I have not stayed up that late or slept in that late in at least 10 years. I recently was awake until 4 a.m. when we went to DeKalb to visit college friends, but didn't sleep past 9 the next morning. The call of nature wakes me, and I usually can't get back to sleep.

We're the only ones in our building to put lights in the window. Heck, only ones on our block. We keep getting cards and cheesy gifts from people, and their is this obligation to reciprocate. And we used to send out Christmas letters and cards. But, man, that's so much work. I hate encapsulating my year into a single page. Makes me sound like a busybody. And while it's true I do get around a fair bit, there's lots of boring lazy times in-between. I should describe those in family newsletter. This year Greg attended 16 baseball games and stared off into space daydreaming a grand total of 67 hours. Work. Ice Age Trail volunteer work. Baseball games. Minnesota trip. Unemployment. Work again. Guitar playing. Poetry. Short stories. Winter. There. That short enough for ya?

Today I longed for wild places: Air Mountains of Niger, Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (southern AZ), Nunavut (northern Canada), Australian Outback....I shall know all these places yet.

No comments: